Webster's Unabridged Dictionary - Letter T - Page 91

Twinging (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twinge

Twinge (v. i.) To pull with a twitch; to pinch; to tweak.

Twinge (v. i.) To affect with a sharp, sudden pain; to torment with pinching or sharp pains.

Twinge (v. i.) To have a sudden, sharp, local pain, like a twitch; to suffer a keen, darting, or shooting pain; as, the side twinges.

Twinge (n.) A pinch; a tweak; a twitch.

Twinge (n.) A sudden sharp pain; a darting local pain of momentary continuance; as, a twinge in the arm or side.

Twining (a.) Winding around something; twisting; embracing; climbing by winding about a support; as, the hop is a twinning plant.

Twining (a.) The act of one who, or that which, twines; (Bot.) the act of climbing spirally.

Twink (v. i.) To twinkle.

Twink (n.) A wink; a twinkling.

Twink (n.) The chaffinch.

Twinkled (imp. & p. p.) of Twinkle

Twinkling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twinkle

Twinkle (v. i.) To open and shut the eye rapidly; to blink; to wink.

Twinkle (v. i.) To shine with an intermitted or a broken, quavering light; to flash at intervals; to sparkle; to scintillate.

Twinkle (n.) A closing or opening, or a quick motion, of the eye; a wink or sparkle of the eye.

Twinkle (n.) A brief flash or gleam, esp. when rapidly repeated.

Twinkle (n.) The time of a wink; a twinkling.

Twinkler (n.) One who, or that which, twinkles, or winks; a winker; an eye.

Twinkling (n.) The act of one who, or of that which, twinkles; a quick movement of the eye; a wink; a twinkle.

Twinkling (n.) A shining with intermitted light; a scintillation; a sparkling; as, the twinkling of the stars.

Twinkling (n.) The time of a wink; a moment; an instant.

Twinleaf (n.) See Jeffersonia.

Twinlike (a.) Closely resembling; being a counterpart.

Twinling (n.) A young or little twin, especially a twin lamb.

Twinned (a.) Composed of parts united according to a law of twinning. See Twin, n., 4.

Twinner (n.) One who gives birth to twins; a breeder of twins.

Twinning (n.) The assemblage of two or more crystals, or parts of crystals, in reversed position with reference to each other in accordance with some definite law; also, rarely, in artificial twinning (accomplished for example by pressure), the process by which this reversal is brought about.

Twinter (n.) A domestic animal two winters old.

Twire (n.) A twisted filament; a thread.

Twire (v. i.) To peep; to glance obliquely; to leer.

Twire (v. i.) To twinkle; to glance; to gleam.

Twire (v. i.) To sing, or twitter.

Twire-pipe (n.) A vagabond musician.

Twirled (imp. & p. p.) of Twirl

Twirling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twirl

Twirl (v. t.) To move or turn round rapidly; to whirl round; to move and turn rapidly with the fingers.

Twirl (v. i.) To revolve with velocity; to be whirled round rapidly.

Twirl (n.) The act of twirling; a rapid circular motion; a whirl or whirling; quick rotation.

Twirl (n.) A twist; a convolution.

Twisted (imp. & p. p.) of Twist

Twisting (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twist

Twist (v. t.) To contort; to writhe; to complicate; to crook spirally; to convolve.

Twist (v. t.) Hence, to turn from the true form or meaning; to pervert; as, to twist a passage cited from an author.

Twist (v. t.) To distort, as a solid body, by turning one part relatively to another about an axis passing through both; to subject to torsion; as, to twist a shaft.

Twist (v. t.) To wreathe; to wind; to encircle; to unite by intertexture of parts.

Twist (v. t.) To wind into; to insinuate; -- used reflexively; as, avarice twists itself into all human concerns.

Twist (v. t.) To unite by winding one thread, strand, or other flexible substance, round another; to form by convolution, or winding separate things round each other; as, to twist yarn or thread.

Twist (v. t.) Hence, to form as if by winding one part around another; to wreathe; to make up.

Twist (v. t.) To form into a thread from many fine filaments; as, to twist wool or cotton.

Twist (v. i.) To be contorted; to writhe; to be distorted by torsion; to be united by winding round each other; to be or become twisted; as, some strands will twist more easily than others.

Twist (v. i.) To follow a helical or spiral course; to be in the form of a helix.

Twist (n.) The act of twisting; a contortion; a flexure; a convolution; a bending.

Twist (n.) The form given in twisting.

Twist (n.) That which is formed by twisting, convoluting, or uniting parts.

Twist (n.) A cord, thread, or anything flexible, formed by winding strands or separate things round each other.

Twist (n.) A kind of closely twisted, strong sewing silk, used by tailors, saddlers, and the like.

Twist (n.) A kind of cotton yarn, of several varieties.

Twist (n.) A roll of twisted dough, baked.

Twist (n.) A little twisted roll of tobacco.

Twist (n.) One of the threads of a warp, -- usually more tightly twisted than the filling.

Twist (n.) A material for gun barrels, consisting of iron and steel twisted and welded together; as, Damascus twist.

Twist (n.) The spiral course of the rifling of a gun barrel or a cannon.

Twist (n.) A beverage made of brandy and gin.

Twist (v. t.) A twig.

Twiste () imp. of Twist.

Twisted (a.) Contorted; crooked spirally; subjected to torsion; hence, perverted.

Twister (n.) One who twists; specifically, the person whose occupation is to twist or join the threads of one warp to those of another, in weaving.

Twister (n.) The instrument used in twisting, or making twists.

Twister (n.) A girder.

Twister (n.) The inner part of the thigh, the proper place to rest upon when on horseback.

Twistical (a.) Crooked; tortuous; hence, perverse; unfair; dishonest.

Twisting () a. & n. from Twist.

Twitted (imp. & p. p.) of Twit

Twitting (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twit

Twit (v. t.) To vex by bringing to notice, or reminding of, a fault, defect, misfortune, or the like; to revile; to reproach; to upbraid; to taunt; as, he twitted his friend of falsehood.

Twitched (imp. & p. p.) of Twitch

Twitching (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twitch

Twitch (v. t.) To pull with a sudden jerk; to pluck with a short, quick motion; to snatch; as, to twitch one by the sleeve; to twitch a thing out of another's hand; to twitch off clusters of grapes.

Twitch (n.) The act of twitching; a pull with a jerk; a short, sudden, quick pull; as, a twitch by the sleeve.

Twitch (n.) A short, spastic contraction of the fibers or muscles; a simple muscular contraction; as, convulsive twitches; a twitch in the side.

Twitch (n.) A stick with a hole in one end through which passes a loop, which can be drawn tightly over the upper lip or an ear of a horse. By twisting the stick the compression is made sufficiently painful to keep the animal quiet during a slight surgical operation.

Twitcher (n.) One who, or that which, twitches.

Twitch grass () See Quitch grass.

Twite (n.) The European tree sparrow.

Twite (n.) The mountain linnet (Linota flavirostris).

Twitlark (n.) The meadow pipit.

Twitter (n.) One who twits, or reproaches; an upbraider.

Twittered (imp. & p. p.) of Twitter

Twittering (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twitter

Twitter (v. i.) To make a succession of small, tremulous, intermitted noises.

Twitter (v. i.) To make the sound of a half-suppressed laugh; to titter; to giggle.

Twitter (v. i.) To have a slight trembling of the nerves; to be excited or agitated.

Twitter (v. t.) To utter with a twitter.

Twitter (n.) The act of twittering; a small, tremulous, intermitted noise, as that made by a swallow.

Twitter (n.) A half-suppressed laugh; a fit of laughter partially restrained; a titter; a giggle.

Twitter (n.) A slight trembling or agitation of the nerves.

Twittering (n.) The act of one who, or that which, twitters.

Twittering (n.) A slight nervous excitement or agitation, such as is caused by desire, expectation, or suspense.

Twittingly (adv.) In a twitting manner; with upbraiding.

[previous page] [Index] [next page]