Webster's Unabridged Dictionary - Letter T - Page 90

Twelfth-cake (n.) An ornamented cake distributed among friends or visitors on the festival of Twelfth-night.

Twelfth-day (n.) See Twelfthtide.

Twelfth-night (n.) The evening of Epiphany, or the twelfth day after Christmas, observed as a festival by various churches.

Twelfth-second (n.) A unit for the measurement of small intervals of time, such that 1012 (ten trillion) of these units make one second.

Twelfthtide (n.) The twelfth day after Christmas; Epiphany; -- called also Twelfth-day.

Twelve (a.) One more that eleven; two and ten; twice six; a dozen.

Twelve (n.) The number next following eleven; the sum of ten and two, or of twice six; twelve units or objects; a dozen.

Twelve (n.) A symbol representing twelve units, as 12, or xii.

Twelvemo (a. & n.) See Duodecimo.

Twelvemonth (n.) A year which consists of twelve calendar months.

Twelvepence (n.) A shilling sterling, being about twenty-four cents.

Twelvepenny (a.) Sold for a shilling; worth or costing a shilling.

Twelvescore (n. & a.) Twelve times twenty; two hundred and forty.

Twentieth (a.) Next in order after the nineteenth; tenth after the tenth; coming after nineteen others; -- the ordinal of twenty.

Twentieth (a.) Consisting, or being, one of twenty equal parts into which anything is divided.

Twentieth (n.) The next in order after the nineteen; one coming after nineteen others.

Twentieth (n.) The quotient of a unit divided by twenty; one of twenty equal parts of one whole.

Twenty (a.) One more that nineteen; twice; as, twenty men.

Twenty (a.) An indefinite number more or less that twenty.

Twenties (pl. ) of Twenty

Twenty (n.) The number next following nineteen; the sum of twelve and eight, or twice ten; twenty units or objects; a score.

Twenty (n.) A symbol representing twenty units, as 20, or xx.

Twentyfold (a.) Twenty times as many.

Twenty-fourmo (a.) Having twenty-four leaves to a sheet; as, a twenty-fourmo form, book, leaf, size, etc.

Twenty-fourmo (n.) A book composed of sheets, each of which is folded into twenty-four leaves; hence, indicating more or less definitely a size of book whose sheets are so folded; -- usually written 24mo, or 24¡.

Twey (a.) Two.

Tweyfold (a.) Twofold.

Twibil (n.) A kind of mattock, or ax; esp., a tool like a pickax, but having, instead of the points, flat terminations, one of which is parallel to the handle, the other perpendicular to it.

Twibil (n.) A tool for making mortises.

Twibil (n.) A reaping hook.

Twibilled (a.) Armed or provided with a twibil or twibils.

Twice (adv.) Two times; once and again.

Twice (adv.) Doubly; in twofold quantity or degree; as, twice the sum; he is twice as fortunate as his neighbor.

Twiddle (v. t.) To touch lightly, or play with; to tweedle; to twirl; as, to twiddle one's thumbs; to twiddle a watch key.

Twiddle (v. i.) To play with anything; hence, to be busy about trifles.

Twiddle (n.) A slight twist with the fingers.

Twiddle (n.) A pimple.

Twifallowed (imp. & p. p.) of Twifallow

Twifallowing (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twifallow

Twifallow (v. t.) To plow, or fallow, a second time (land that has been once fallowed).

Twifold (a.) Twofold; double.

Twigged (imp. & p. p.) of Twig

Twigging (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twig

Twig (v. t.) To twitch; to pull; to tweak.

Twig (v. t.) To understand the meaning of; to comprehend; as, do you twig me?

Twig (v. t.) To observe slyly; also, to perceive; to discover.

Twig (n.) A small shoot or branch of a tree or other plant, of no definite length or size.

Twig (v. t.) To beat with twigs.

Twiggen (a.) Made of twigs; wicker.

Twigger (n.) A fornicator.

Twiggy (a.) Of or pertaining to a twig or twigs; like a twig or twigs; full of twigs; abounding with shoots.

Twight (v. t.) To twit.

Twight () p. p. of Twitch.

Twighte () imp. of Twitch.

Twigless (a.) Having no twigs.

Twigsome (a.) Full of, or abounding in, twigs; twiggy.

Twilight (n.) The light perceived before the rising, and after the setting, of the sun, or when the sun is less than 18¡ below the horizon, occasioned by the illumination of the earth's atmosphere by the direct rays of the sun and their reflection on the earth.

Twilight (n.) faint light; a dubious or uncertain medium through which anything is viewed.

Twilight (a.) Seen or done by twilight.

Twilight (a.) Imperfectly illuminated; shaded; obscure.

Twilled (imp. & p. p.) of Twill

Twilling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twill

Twill (v. i.) To weave, as cloth, so as to produce the appearance of diagonal lines or ribs on the surface.

Twill (v. t.) An appearance of diagonal lines or ribs produced in textile fabrics by causing the weft threads to pass over one and under two, or over one and under three or more, warp threads, instead of over one and under the next in regular succession, as in plain weaving.

Twill (v. t.) A fabric women with a twill.

Twill (v. t.) A quill, or spool, for yarn.

Twilly (n.) A machine for cleansing or loosening wool by the action of a revolving cylinder covered with long iron spikes or teeth; a willy or willying machine; -- called also twilly devil, and devil. See Devil, n., 6, and Willy.

Twilt (n.) A quilt.

Twin (a.) Being one of two born at a birth; as, a twin brother or sister.

Twin (a.) Being one of a pair much resembling one another; standing the relation of a twin to something else; -- often followed by to or with.

Twin (a.) Double; consisting of two similar and corresponding parts.

Twin (a.) Composed of parts united according to some definite law of twinning. See Twin, n., 4.

Twin (n.) One of two produced at a birth, especially by an animal that ordinarily brings forth but one at a birth; -- used chiefly in the plural, and applied to the young of beasts as well as to human young.

Twin (n.) A sign and constellation of the zodiac; Gemini. See Gemini.

Twin (n.) A person or thing that closely resembles another.

Twin (n.) A compound crystal composed of two or more crystals, or parts of crystals, in reversed position with reference to each other.

Twinned (imp. & p. p.) of Twin

Twinning (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twin

Twin (v. i.) To bring forth twins.

Twin (v. i.) To be born at the same birth.

Twin (v. t.) To cause to be twins, or like twins in any way.

Twin (v. t.) To separate into two parts; to part; to divide; hence, to remove; also, to strip; to rob.

Twin (v. i.) To depart from a place or thing.

Twinborn (a.) Born at the same birth.

Twine (n.) A twist; a convolution.

Twine (n.) A strong thread composed of two or three smaller threads or strands twisted together, and used for various purposes, as for binding small parcels, making nets, and the like; a small cord or string.

Twine (n.) The act of twining or winding round.

Twined (imp. & p. p.) of Twine

Twining (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Twine

Twine (n.) To twist together; to form by twisting or winding of threads; to wreathe; as, fine twined linen.

Twine (n.) To wind, as one thread around another, or as any flexible substance around another body.

Twine (n.) To wind about; to embrace; to entwine.

Twine (n.) To change the direction of.

Twine (n.) To mingle; to mix.

Twine (v. i.) To mutually twist together; to become mutually involved.

Twine (v. i.) To wind; to bend; to make turns; to meander.

Twine (v. i.) To turn round; to revolve.

Twine (v. i.) To ascend in spiral lines about a support; to climb spirally; as, many plants twine.

Twiner (n.) Any plant which twines about a support.

Twinged (imp. & p. p.) of Twinge

[previous page] [Index] [next page]