Webster's Unabridged Dictionary - Letter T - Page 79

Trot (n.) Fig.: To run; to jog; to hurry.

Trot (v. t.) To cause to move, as a horse or other animal, in the pace called a trot; to cause to run without galloping or cantering.

Trot (v. i.) The pace of a horse or other quadruped, more rapid than a walk, but of various degrees of swiftness, in which one fore foot and the hind foot of the opposite side are lifted at the same time.

Trot (v. i.) Fig.: A jogging pace, as of a person hurrying.

Trot (v. i.) One who trots; a child; a woman.

Troth (n.) Belief; faith; fidelity.

Troth (n.) Truth; verity; veracity; as, by my troth.

Troth (n.) Betrothal.

Trothless (a.) Faitless; false; treacherous.

Trothplight (v. t.) To betroth.

Trothplight (a.) Betrothed; espoused; affianced.

Trothplight (n.) The act of betrothing, or plighting faith; betrothing.

Trothplighted (a.) Having fidelity pledged.

Trotter (n.) One that trots; especially, a horse trained to be driven in trotting matches.

Trotter (n.) The foot of an animal, especially that of a sheep; also, humorously, the human foot.

Trottoir (n.) Footpath; pavement; sidewalk.

Troubadour (n.) One of a school of poets who flourished from the eleventh to the thirteenth century, principally in Provence, in the south of France, and also in the north of Italy. They invented, and especially cultivated, a kind of lyrical poetry characterized by intricacy of meter and rhyme, and usually of a romantic, amatory strain.

Troublable (a.) Causing trouble; troublesome.

Troubled (imp. & p. p.) of Trouble

Troubling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Trouble

Trouble (v. t.) To put into confused motion; to disturb; to agitate.

Trouble (v. t.) To disturb; to perplex; to afflict; to distress; to grieve; to fret; to annoy; to vex.

Trouble (v. t.) To give occasion for labor to; -- used in polite phraseology; as, I will not trouble you to deliver the letter.

Trouble (a.) Troubled; dark; gloomy.

Trouble (v. t.) The state of being troubled; disturbance; agitation; uneasiness; vexation; calamity.

Trouble (v. t.) That which gives disturbance, annoyance, or vexation; that which afflicts.

Trouble (v. t.) A fault or interruption in a stratum.

Troubler (n.) One who troubles or disturbs; one who afflicts or molests; a disturber; as, a troubler of the peace.

Troublesome (a.) Giving trouble or anxiety; vexatious; burdensome; wearisome.

Troublous (a.) Full of trouble; causing trouble.

Trous-de-loup (pl. ) of Trou-de-loup

Trou-de-loup (n.) A pit in the form of an inverted cone or pyramid, constructed as an obstacle to the approach of an enemy, and having a pointed stake in the middle. The pits are called also trapholes.

Trough (n.) A long, hollow vessel, generally for holding water or other liquid, especially one formed by excavating a log longitudinally on one side; a long tray; also, a wooden channel for conveying water, as to a mill wheel.

Trough (n.) Any channel, receptacle, or depression, of a long and narrow shape; as, trough between two ridges, etc.

Trough-shell (n.) Any bivalve shell of the genus Mactra. See Mactra.

Troul (v. t. & i.) See Troll.

Trounced (imp. & p. p.) of Trounce

Trouncing (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Trounce

Trounce (v. t.) To punish or beat severely; to whip smartly; to flog; to castigate.

Troupe (n.) A company or troop, especially the company pf performers in a play or an opera.

Troupial (n.) Any one of numerous species of bright-colored American birds belonging to Icterus and allied genera, especially Icterus icterus, a native of the West Indies and South America. Many of the species are called orioles in America.

Trouse (n.) Trousers.

Trousering (n.) Cloth or material for making trousers.

Trousers (n. pl.) A garment worn by men and boys, extending from the waist to the knee or to the ankle, and covering each leg separately.

Trousseau (n.) The collective lighter equipments or outfit of a bride, including clothes, jewelry, and the like; especially, that which is provided for her by her family.

Trout (n.) Any one of numerous species of fishes belonging to Salmo, Salvelinus, and allied genera of the family Salmonidae. They are highly esteemed as game fishes and for the quality of their flesh. All the species breed in fresh water, but after spawning many of them descend to the sea if they have an opportunity.

Trout (n.) Any one of several species of marine fishes more or less resembling a trout in appearance or habits, but not belonging to the same family, especially the California rock trouts, the common squeteague, and the southern, or spotted, squeteague; -- called also salt-water trout, sea trout, shad trout, and gray trout. See Squeteague, and Rock trout under Rock.

Troutbird (n.) The American golden plover.

Trout-colored (a.) White, with spots of black, bay, or sorrel; as, a trout-colored horse.

Troutlet (n.) A little trout; a troutling.

Troutling (n.) A little trout; a troutlet.

Trouvere (n.) Alt. of Trouveur

Trouveur (n.) One of a school of poets who flourished in Northern France from the eleventh to the fourteenth century.

Trover (n.) The gaining possession of any goods, whether by finding or by other means.

Trover (n.) An action to recover damages against one who found goods, and would not deliver them to the owner on demand; an action which lies in any case to recover the value of goods wrongfully converted by another to his own use. In this case the finding, though alleged, is an immaterial fact; the injury lies in the conversion.

Trow (n.) A boat with an open well amidships. It is used in spearing fish.

Trow (v. i. & t.) To believe; to trust; to think or suppose.

Trowel (n.) A mason's tool, used in spreading and dressing mortar, and breaking bricks to shape them.

Trowel (n.) A gardener's tool, somewhat like a scoop, used in taking up plants, stirring the earth, etc.

Trowel (n.) A tool used for smoothing a mold.

Troweled () Formed with a trowel; smoothed with a trowel; as, troweled stucco, that is, stucco laid on and ready for the reception of paint.

Trowelfuls (pl. ) of Trowelful

Trowelful (n.) As much as a trowel will hold; enough to fill a trowel.

Trowl (n.) See Troll.

Trowsed (a.) Wearing trousers.

Trowsers (n. pl.) Same as Trousers.

Troy (n.) Troy weight.

Troyounce (n.) See Troy ounce, under Troy weight, above, and under Ounce.

Truage (n.) A pledge of truth or peace made on payment of a tax.

Truage (n.) A tax or impost; tribute.

Truancy (n.) The act of playing truant, or the state of being truant; as, addicted to truancy.

Truand (n. & a.) See Truant.

Truant (n.) One who stays away from business or any duty; especially, one who stays out of school without leave; an idler; a loiterer; a shirk.

Truant (a.) Wandering from business or duty; loitering; idle, and shirking duty; as, a truant boy.

Truant (v. i.) To idle away time; to loiter, or wander; to play the truant.

Truant (v. t.) To idle away; to waste.

Truantly (adv.) Like a truant; in idleness.

Truantship (n.) The conduct of a truant; neglect of employment; idleness; truancy.

Trub (n.) A truffle.

Trubtall (n.) A short, squat woman.

Trubu (n.) An East India herring (Clupea toli) which is extensively caught for the sake of its roe and for its flesh.

Truce (n.) A suspension of arms by agreement of the commanders of opposing forces; a temporary cessation of hostilities, for negotiation or other purpose; an armistice.

Truce (n.) Hence, intermission of action, pain, or contest; temporary cessation; short quiet.

Trucebreaker (n.) One who violates a truce, covenant, or engagement.

Truceless (a.) Without a truce; unforbearing.

Truchman (n.) An interpreter. See Dragoman.

Trucidation (n.) The act of killing.

Truck (v. i.) A small wheel, as of a vehicle; specifically (Ord.), a small strong wheel, as of wood or iron, for a gun carriage.

Truck (v. i.) A low, wheeled vehicle or barrow for carrying goods, stone, and other heavy articles.

Truck (v. i.) A swiveling carriage, consisting of a frame with one or more pairs of wheels and the necessary boxes, springs, etc., to carry and guide one end of a locomotive or a car; -- sometimes called bogie in England. Trucks usually have four or six wheels.

Truck (v. i.) A small wooden cap at the summit of a flagstaff or a masthead, having holes in it for reeving halyards through.

Truck (v. i.) A small piece of wood, usually cylindrical or disk-shaped, used for various purposes.

Truck (v. i.) A freight car.

Truck (v. i.) A frame on low wheels or rollers; -- used for various purposes, as for a movable support for heavy bodies.

Truck (v. t.) To transport on a truck or trucks.

Trucked (imp. & p. p.) of Truck

trucking (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Truck

Truck (v. t.) To exchange; to give in exchange; to barter; as, to truck knives for gold dust.

Truck (v. i.) To exchange commodities; to barter; to trade; to deal.

Truck (n.) Exchange of commodities; barter.

[previous page] [Index] [next page]