Webster's Unabridged Dictionary - Letter T - Page 55

Tote (n.) The entire body, or all; as, the whole tote.

Totear (v. t.) To tear or rend in pieces.

Totem (n.) A rude picture, as of a bird, beast, or the like, used by the North American Indians as a symbolic designation, as of a family or a clan.

Totemic (a.) Of or pertaining to a totem, or totemism.

Totemism (n.) The system of distinguishing families, clans, etc., in a tribe by the totem.

Totemism (n.) Superstitious regard for a totem; the worship of any real or imaginary object; nature worship.

Totemist (n.) One belonging to a clan or tribe having a totem.

Toter (n.) The stone roller. See Stone roller (a), under Stone.

T'other () A colloquial contraction of the other, and formerly a contraction for that other. See the Note under That, 2.

Totipalmate (a.) Having all four toes united by a web; -- said of certain sea birds, as the pelican and the gannet. See Illust. under Aves.

Totipalmi (n.pl.) A division of swimming birds including those that have totipalmate feet.

Totipresence (n.) Omnipresence.

Totipresent (a.) Omnipresence.

Tottered (imp. & p. p.) of Totter

Tottering (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Totter

Totter (v. i.) To shake so as to threaten a fall; to vacillate; to be unsteady; to stagger; as,an old man totters with age.

Totter (v. i.) To shake; to reel; to lean; to waver.

Totterer (n.) One who totters.

Totteringly (adv.) In a tottering manner.

Tottery (a.) Trembling or vaccilating, as if about to fall; unsteady; shaking.

Tottled (imp. & p. p.) of Totly

Tottling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Totly

Totly (v. i.) To walk in a wavering, unsteady manner; to toddle; to topple.

Tottlish (a.) Trembling or tottering, as if about to fall; un steady.

Totty (a.) Unsteady; dizzy; tottery.

Toty (a.) Totty.

Toty (n.) A sailor or fisherman; -- so called in some parts of the Pacific.

Toucan (n.) Any one of numerous species of fruit-eating birds of tropical America belonging to Ramphastos, Pteroglossus, and allied genera of the family Ramphastidae. They have a very large, but light and thin, beak, often nearly as long as the body itself. Most of the species are brilliantly colored with red, yellow, white, and black in striking contrast.

Toucan (n.) A modern constellation of the southern hemisphere.

Toncanet (n.) A small toucan.

Touched (imp. & p. p.) of Touch

Touching (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Touch

Touch (v. t.) To come in contact with; to hit or strike lightly against; to extend the hand, foot, or the like, so as to reach or rest on.

Touch (v. t.) To perceive by the sense of feeling.

Touch (v. t.) To come to; to reach; to attain to.

Touch (v. t.) To try; to prove, as with a touchstone.

Touch (v. t.) To relate to; to concern; to affect.

Touch (v. t.) To handle, speak of, or deal with; to treat of.

Touch (v. t.) To meddle or interfere with; as, I have not touched the books.

Touch (v. t.) To affect the senses or the sensibility of; to move; to melt; to soften.

Touch (v. t.) To mark or delineate with touches; to add a slight stroke to with the pencil or brush.

Touch (v. t.) To infect; to affect slightly.

Touch (v. t.) To make an impression on; to have effect upon.

Touch (v. t.) To strike; to manipulate; to play on; as, to touch an instrument of music.

Touch (v. t.) To perform, as a tune; to play.

Touch (v. t.) To influence by impulse; to impel forcibly.

Touch (v. t.) To harm, afflict, or distress.

Touch (v. t.) To affect with insanity, especially in a slight degree; to make partially insane; -- rarely used except in the past participle.

Touch (v. t.) To be tangent to. See Tangent, a.

Touch (a.) To lay a hand upon for curing disease.

Touch (v. i.) To be in contact; to be in a state of junction, so that no space is between; as, two spheres touch only at points.

Touch (v. i.) To fasten; to take effect; to make impression.

Touch (v. i.) To treat anything in discourse, especially in a slight or casual manner; -- often with on or upon.

Touch (v. i.) To be brought, as a sail, so close to the wind that its weather leech shakes.

Touch (v.) The act of touching, or the state of being touched; contact.

Touch (v.) The sense by which pressure or traction exerted on the skin is recognized; the sense by which the properties of bodies are determined by contact; the tactile sense. See Tactile sense, under Tactile.

Touch (v.) Act or power of exciting emotion.

Touch (v.) An emotion or affection.

Touch (v.) Personal reference or application.

Touch (v.) A stroke; as, a touch of raillery; a satiric touch; hence, animadversion; censure; reproof.

Touch (v.) A single stroke on a drawing or a picture.

Touch (v.) Feature; lineament; trait.

Touch (v.) The act of the hand on a musical instrument; bence, in the plural, musical notes.

Touch (v.) A small quantity intermixed; a little; a dash.

Touch (v.) A hint; a suggestion; slight notice.

Touch (v.) A slight and brief essay.

Touch (v.) A touchstone; hence, stone of the sort used for touchstone.

Touch (v.) Hence, examination or trial by some decisive standard; test; proof; tried quality.

Touch (v.) The particular or characteristic mode of action, or the resistance of the keys of an instrument to the fingers; as, a heavy touch, or a light touch; also, the manner of touching, striking, or pressing the keys of a piano; as, a legato touch; a staccato touch.

Touch (v.) The broadest part of a plank worked top and but (see Top and but, under Top, n.), or of one worked anchor-stock fashion (that is, tapered from the middle to both ends); also, the angles of the stern timbers at the counters.

Touch (n.) That part of the field which is beyond the line of flags on either side.

Touch (n.) A boys' game; tag.

Touchable (a.) Capable of being touched; tangible.

Touchback (n.) The act of touching the football down by a player behind his own goal line when it received its last impulse from an opponent; -- distinguished from safety touchdown.

Touch-box (n.) A box containing lighted tinder, formerly carried by soldiers who used matchlocks, to kindle the match.

Touchdown (n.) The act of touching the football down behind the opponents' goal .

Touchhole (n.) The vent of a cannot or other firearm, by which fire is communicateed to the powder of the charge.

Touchily (adv.) In a touchy manner.

Touchiness (n.) The quality or state of being touchy peevishness; irritability; irascibility.

Touching (a.) Affecting; moving; pathetic; as, a touching tale.

Touching (prep.) Concerning; with respect to.

Touching (n.) The sense or act of feeling; touch.

Touch-me-not (n.) See Impatiens.

Touch-me-not (n.) Squirting cucumber. See under Cucumber.

Touch-needle (n.) A small bar of gold and silver, either pure, or alloyed in some known proportion with copper, for trying the purity of articles of gold or silver by comparison of the streaks made by the article and the bar on a touchstone.

Touch-paper (n.) Paper steeped in saltpeter, which burns slowly, and is used as a match for firing gunpowder, and the like.

Touchstone (n.) Lydian stone; basanite; -- so called because used to test the purity of gold and silver by the streak which is left upon the stone when it is rubbed by the metal. See Basanite.

Touchstone (n.) Any test or criterion by which the qualities of a thing are tried.

Touchwood (n.) Wood so decayed as to serve for tinder; spunk, or punk.

Touchwood (n.) Dried fungi used as tinder; especially, the Polyporus igniarius.

Touchy (a.) Peevish; irritable; irascible; techy; apt to take fire.

Tough (superl.) Having the quality of flexibility without brittleness; yielding to force without breaking; capable of resisting great strain; as, the ligaments of animals are remarkably tough.

Tough (superl.) Not easily broken; able to endure hardship; firm; strong; as, tough sinews.

Tough (superl.) Not easily separated; viscous; clammy; tenacious; as, tough phlegm.

Tough (superl.) Stiff; rigid; not flexible; stubborn; as, a tough bow.

Tough (superl.) Severe; violent; as, a tough storm.

Tough-cake (n.) See Tough-pitch (b).

Toughened (imp. & p. p.) of Toughen

Toughening (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Toughen

Toughen (v. i. & t.) To grow or make tough, or tougher.

[previous page] [Index] [next page]