Webster's Unabridged Dictionary - Letter T - Page 46

Tithingmen (pl. ) of Tithingman

Tithingman (n.) The chief man of a tithing; a headborough; one elected to preside over the tithing.

Tithingman (n.) A peace officer; an under constable.

Tithingman (n.) A parish officer elected annually to preserve good order in the church during divine service, to make complaint of any disorderly conduct, and to enforce the observance of the Sabbath.

Tithly (a.) Tightly; nimbly.

Tithonic (a.) Of, pertaining to, or denoting, those rays of light which produce chemical effects; actinic.

Tithonicity (n.) The state or property of being tithonic; actinism.

Tithonographic (a.) Of, relating to, or produced by, the chemical action of rays of light; photographic.

Tithonometer (n.) An instrument or apparatus for measuring or detecting tithonicity; an actinometer.

Tithymal (n.) Any kind of spurge, esp. Euphorbia Cyparissias.

Titi (n.) Same as Teetee.

Titillated (imp. & p. p.) of Titillate

Titillating (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Titillate

Titillate (v. t. & i.) To tickle; as, to titillate the nose with a feather.

Titillation (n.) The act of tickling, or the state of being tickled; a tickling sensation.

Titillation (n.) Any pleasurable sensation.

Titillative (a.) Tending or serving to titillate, or tickle; tickling.

Titlark (n.) Any one of numerous small spring birds belonging to Anthus, Corydalla, and allied genera, which resemble the true larks in color and in having a very long hind claw; especially, the European meadow pipit (Anthus pratensis).

Title (n.) An inscription put over or upon anything as a name by which it is known.

Title (n.) The inscription in the beginning of a book, usually containing the subject of the work, the author's and publisher's names, the date, etc.

Title (n.) The panel for the name, between the bands of the back of a book.

Title (n.) A section or division of a subject, as of a law, a book, specif. (Roman & Canon Laws), a chapter or division of a law book.

Title (n.) An appellation of dignity, distinction, or preeminence (hereditary or acquired), given to persons, as duke marquis, honorable, esquire, etc.

Title (n.) A name; an appellation; a designation.

Title (n.) That which constitutes a just cause of exclusive possession; that which is the foundation of ownership of property, real or personal; a right; as, a good title to an estate, or an imperfect title.

Title (n.) The instrument which is evidence of a right.

Title (n.) That by which a beneficiary holds a benefice.

Title (n.) A church to which a priest was ordained, and where he was to reside.

Titled (imp. & p. p.) of Title

Titling (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Title

Title (n.) To call by a title; to name; to entitle.

Titled (a.) Having or bearing a title.

Titleless (a.) Not having a title or name; without legitimate title.

Title-page (n.) The page of a book which contains it title.

Titler (n.) A large truncated cone of refined sugar.

Titling (n.) The hedge sparrow; -- called also titlene. Its nest often chosen by the cuckoo as a place for depositing its own eggs.

Titling (n.) The meadow pipit.

Titling (n.) Stockfish; -- formerly so called in customhouses.

Titmal (n.) The blue titmouse.

Titmice (pl. ) of Titmouse

Titmouse (n.) Any one of numerous species of small insectivorous singing birds belonging to Parus and allied genera; -- called also tit, and tomtit.

Titrated (imp. & p. p.) of Titrate

Titrating (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Titrate

Titrate (n.) To analyse, or determine the strength of, by means of standard solutions. Cf. Standardized solution, under Solution.

Titrated (a.) Standardized; determined or analyzed by titration; as, titrated solutions.

Titration (n.) The act or process of titrating; a substance obtained by titrating.

Tittered (imp. & p. p.) of Titter

Tittering (p. pr. & vb. n.) of Titter

Titter (v. t.) To laugh with the tongue striking against the root of the upper teeth; to laugh with restraint, or without much noise; to giggle.

Titter (n.) A restrained laugh.

Titter (v. i.) To seesaw. See Teeter.

Titterel (n.) The whimbrel.

Titter-totter (v. i.) See Teeter.

Tittimouse (n.) Titmouse.

Tittle (n.) A particle; a minute part; a jot; an iota.

Tittlebat (n.) The three-spined stickleback.

Tittle-tattle (n.) Idle, trifling talk; empty prattle.

Tittle-tattle (n.) An idle, trifling talker; a gossip.

Tittle-tattle (v. i.) To talk idly; to prate.

Tittle-tattling (n.) The act or habit of parting idly or gossiping.

Titty (n.) A little teat; a nipple.

Titubate (v. i.) To stumble.

Titubate (v. i.) To rock or roll, as a curved body on a plane.

Titubation (n.) The act of stumbling, rocking, or rolling; a reeling.

Titular (a.) Existing in title or name only; nominal; having the title to an office or dignity without discharging its appropriate duties; as, a titular prince.

Titular (n.) A titulary.

Titularity (n.) The quality or state of being titular.

Titularly (adv.) In a titular manner; nominally; by title only.

Titularies (pl. ) of Titulary

Titulary (n.) A person invested with a title, in virtue of which he holds an office or benefice, whether he performs the duties of it or not.

Titulary (a.) Consisting in a title; titular.

Titulary (a.) Of or pertaining to a title.

Tituled (a.) Having a title.

Tiver (n.) A kind of ocher which is used in some parts of England in marking sheep.

Tiver (v. t.) To mark with tiver.

Tivy (adv.) With great speed; -- a huntsman's word or sound.

Tiza (n.) See Ulexite.

Tmesis (n.) The separation of the parts of a compound word by the intervention of one or more words; as, in what place soever, for whatsoever place.

To- (prep.) An obsolete intensive prefix used in the formation of compound verbs; as in to-beat, to-break, to-hew, to-rend, to-tear. See these words in the Vocabulary. See the Note on All to, or All-to, under All, adv.

To (prep.) The preposition to primarily indicates approach and arrival, motion made in the direction of a place or thing and attaining it, access; and also, motion or tendency without arrival; movement toward; -- opposed to from.

To (prep.) Hence, it indicates motion, course, or tendency toward a time, a state or condition, an aim, or anything capable of being regarded as a limit to a tendency, movement, or action; as, he is going to a trade; he is rising to wealth and honor.

To (prep.) In a very general way, and with innumerable varieties of application, to connects transitive verbs with their remoter or indirect object, and adjectives, nouns, and neuter or passive verbs with a following noun which limits their action. Its sphere verges upon that of for, but it contains less the idea of design or appropriation; as, these remarks were addressed to a large audience; let us keep this seat to ourselves; a substance sweet to the taste; an event painful to the mind; duty to God and to our parents; a dislike to spirituous liquor.

To (prep.) As sign of the infinitive, to had originally the use of last defined, governing the infinitive as a verbal noun, and connecting it as indirect object with a preceding verb or adjective; thus, ready to go, i.e., ready unto going; good to eat, i.e., good for eating; I do my utmost to lead my life pleasantly. But it has come to be the almost constant prefix to the infinitive, even in situations where it has no prepositional meaning, as where the infinitive is direct object or subject; thus, I love to learn, i.e., I love learning; to die for one's country is noble, i.e., the dying for one's country. Where the infinitive denotes the design or purpose, good usage formerly allowed the prefixing of for to the to; as, what went ye out for see? (Matt. xi. 8).

To (prep.) In many phrases, and in connection with many other words, to has a pregnant meaning, or is used elliptically.

To (prep.) Extent; limit; degree of comprehension; inclusion as far as; as, they met us to the number of three hundred.

To (prep.) Effect; end; consequence; as, the prince was flattered to his ruin; he engaged in a war to his cost; violent factions exist to the prejudice of the state.

To (prep.) Apposition; connection; antithesis; opposition; as, they engaged hand to hand.

To (prep.) Accord; adaptation; as, an occupation to his taste; she has a husband to her mind.

To (prep.) Comparison; as, three is to nine as nine is to twenty-seven; it is ten to one that you will offend him.

To (prep.) Addition; union; accumulation.

To (prep.) Accompaniment; as, she sang to his guitar; they danced to the music of a piano.

To (prep.) Character; condition of being; purpose subserved or office filled.

Toad (n.) Any one of numerous species of batrachians belonging to the genus Bufo and allied genera, especially those of the family Bufonidae. Toads are generally terrestrial in their habits except during the breeding season, when they seek the water. Most of the species burrow beneath the earth in the daytime and come forth to feed on insects at night. Most toads have a rough, warty skin in which are glands that secrete an acrid fluid.

Toadeater (n.) A fawning, obsequious parasite; a mean sycophant; a flatterer; a toady.

Toadfish (n.) Any marine fish of the genus Batrachus, having a large, thick head and a wide mouth, and bearing some resemblance to a toad. The American species (Batrachus tau) is very common in shallow water. Called also oyster fish, and sapo.

Toadfish (n.) The angler.

Toadfish (n.) A swellfish.

Toadflax (n.) An herb (Linaria vulgaris) of the Figwort family, having narrow leaves and showy orange and yellow flowers; -- called also butter and eggs, flaxweed, and ramsted.

Toadhead (n.) The golden plover.

Toadish (a.) Like a toad.

[previous page] [Index] [next page]